The project is built on parallel actions which will lead to:
- The implementation of a geospatial information system supplying critical data to support local authorities decision-making in the event of a maritime accident.
- The establishment of a common coastal management strategy to identify and mitigate pollution spreading and ensure a long term management of the pollution in the Mediterranean.
From 01/09/2010 until 31/08/2012
Step 1: Analysis of past dramatic events and state of the art in maritime forecasting
Here are some of the main activities that will be undertaken during this phase :
- Analysis of past dramatic events.
- Identification of the most suitable and optimal cost benefit strategies and technologies.
- Matching need of contingency plans and requirements of modelling and forecasting products.
- Development and improvement of existing forecasting systems….
From 01/03/2011 until 28/02/2013
Step 2: Assessment of the monitoring system in five test sites through experimental surveys and tools test
Some of the key activities that will be done during this phase :
- Installation of HF radars in the test sites.
- Developments of sample strategies for instruments.
- Assessments of the performance of the prediction system.
- Simulation of oil spill and SAR operations...
From 01/09/2011 until 31/08/2013
Step 3: Development of case scenarios and action plans in collaboration with local authorities and policy makers
Some of the key activities the project will undertake during this phase :
- Simulation of emergencies and action plans.
- Evaluation of oil spill mitigation effectiveness in risk areas.
- Implementation of a GIS System as a decision support tool for local authorities.
- End-users training.
- Development of a common strategy on oil spill and SAR operations...